We are excited about the 2024 Birding Festival! Save these dates:
May 15 - May 19, 2024
For an idea of the tours, lectures and bird sightings available, take a quick tour through our 2023 events.
May 17 - May 21, 2023
Festival Lodging Specials
|These lodgers offer special rates for festival participants.
Be sure to mention the Birding Festival for discounted rates.
BAYMONT INN AND SUITES
2321 E. Main St., Cortez, CO – (970) 565-3400
Baymont Inn & Suites is located off Highway 160 in scenic Southwest Colorado. Take in the sweeping views of the La Plata Mountains and Mesa Verde Ridge from your room. Our 100% smoke-free hotel is just minutes from Four Corners and other attractions. Enjoy the comfort and convenience of our AAA-approved hotel with free continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi, a full business center, our on-site gym, heated indoor pool and hot tub, and sunrise / sunset deck. We love pets – call ahead to reserve a pet-friendly room.
BEST WESTERN TURQUOISE INN AND SUITES
535 E. Main St., Cortez, CO – (970) 565-3778
Get away to this charming BEST WESTERN Turquoise Inn & Suites and delight in being near Mesa Verde National Park, the Four Corners, outstanding trails and much more. Stunning scenery, a convenient location and affordable rates make these accommodations perfect for both leisure and business travelers. Scenic views, archeological discoveries and interesting cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park – which is just 10 miles away. While the park is one of the area’s most well-known attractions, there’s so much more to do while staying with us at the BEST WESTERN Turquoise Inn & Suites – Clay Mesa, Trail of the Ancients, San Juan National Forest, McPhee Reservoir and Lowry Pueblo Ruins are all within 35 miles.
2244 E Hawkins St., Cortez, CO – (970) 564-5924
Centrally located in Cortez, this hotel is 1.6 miles from Cortez Cultural Center. Our 74 air-conditioned rooms feature refrigerators and flat-screen cable TVs, with complimentary wired and wireless Internet access to keep you connected. Enjoy the deep soaking bathtub in your private bathroom after a day of trekking and birdwatching. Free local calls, safes, complimentary weekday newspapers and a buffet breakfast are all included. Additional amenities include dry cleaning/laundry services, 24-hour front desk and a business center.
RETRO INN AT MESA VERDE
2040 East Main Street, Cortez, CO – (907) 565-3738
Find your adventure! Take time to explore the ancient cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park or walk along quiet trails where you will see ruins and dwellings at Hovenweep National Monument or Canyon of the Ancients. Go hiking or biking the trails for a good mix of climbs & downhill runs. Mancos State Park is where you can go fishing, boating, canoeing, rafting or kayaking. Experience the adrenaline rush of whitewater rafting or a thrilling zip-line ride through the tree tops of the Animas River. While at the hotel, do more than reminisce about the time before computers! Relax and unwind playing Lawn games, Horseshoes, Lawn Bowling, Badminton, Volleyball, Giant Chess, and Board games. You can also grill and chill in one of our outdoor BBQ/picnic areas. And, you can even bring your furry traveling companion – pets are allowed on request (charges may apply).
Birding Festival General Information
- The Ute Mountain Mesa Verde Birding Festival is the major fundraiser for the Cortez Cultural Center. All proceeds benefit the Center.
- All tours require pre-registration.
- A registration fee is required for all tours except as noted. Full registration includes keynote banquet and all lectures. Daily registration includes that day's lectures. Full registration is required in order to qualify for the free early bird t-shirt.
- Unless otherwise noted, tours will return to the Center at approximately 4:00 pm.
- Carpools/caravanning will be used for all tours. Drivers will be reimbursed for gas by passengers at the GSA rate of 66 cents per mile, divided among all participants in the vehicle.
- Tour size is generally 13 or less.
- Cancellations considered on a case by case basis up to 21 days prior to start of Festival. All cancellations subject to a processing fee.
- Availability of restrooms depends on the tour. Nearly all guides scout out restroom locations as well as bird species. Some tours are in parks or other facilities that have established restrooms. Some have outhouses. Others, the only option are bushes. Usually the leader will mention the restroom plan at the beginning of the tour.
- All tours depart from and return to the Cortez Cultural Center.
- Tour times listed are the DEPARTURE time. Please arrive 15 minutes prior.