Teen Birding Scholarships
The Ute Mountain Mesa Verde 14th Annual Birding Festival is offering an “Especially for Teens” tour. Even though it is open to all festival participants, it is designed to appeal to interested teens, parents, advisors and teachers.
This tour will be held on Sunday, May 13, 2018, starting at 7:00 am at the Cortez Cultural Center. Tour Leader, Martin Cuntz, Youth Birding Ambassador from Durango High School, will lead the half-day trip to Summit Lake and the surrounding 526-acre State Wildlife Area.
The Festival registration fee for the Summit Lake tour will be waived for teens.
Additionally, we are offering a limited number of scholarships to cover the tour cost for teens whose applications are selected.
Birding Festival General Information
- The Ute Mountain Mesa Verde Birding Festival is the major fundraiser for the Cortez Cultural Center. All proceeds benefit the Center.
- All tours require pre-registration.
- A registration fee is required for all tours except as noted. Full registration includes keynote banquet and all lectures. Daily registration includes that day's lectures. Full registration is required in order to qualify for the free early bird t-shirt.
- Unless otherwise noted, tours will return to the Center at approximately 3:00 pm.
- Van transportation is provided except as noted.
- Tour size is generally 13 or less.
- Cancellations considered on a case by case basis up to 21 days prior to start of Festival. All cancellations subject to a processing fee.
- Availability of restrooms depends on the tour. Nearly all guides scout out restroom locations as well as bird species. Some tours are in parks or other facilities that have established restrooms. Some have outhouses. Others, the only option are bushes. Usually the leader will mention the restroom plan at the beginning of the tour.
- All tours depart from and return to the Cortez Cultural Center.